TMJ DISORDER / TMD
What is TMJ?
Everyone has TMJ, in fact you have 2 of them! TMD refers to patients who have a disorder or dysfunction within their TMJ. TMD is often referred to as the “great imposter” because its signs and symptoms can mimic dozens of other disorders
What causes TMD
TMD can have a single cause or multiple causes including:
- Macro trauma: a blow to the face, jaw, or joint can cause symptoms immediately or even years following
- Micro trauma: underlying problems can cause clenching or bruxism
Other factors that can lead to issues:
Shifting or missing teeth, misaligned jaw, arthritis, and sleep disordered breathing.
Symptoms of TMD
- Clicking or grinding sound when opening the mouth or chewing
- Jaw or facial pain
- Pain in front or around the ear
- Difficulty opening or closing mouth
- Ringing in the ears
- Fullness in the ears
- Head and neck pain
Diagnosis of TMD
- Presentation of Symptoms
- Clinical Exam by a dentist
- 3D imaging of the joint
Do most people with TMJ disorder need surgery?
Fortunately no! Most cases can be treated with conservative treatment options.
- Splint Therapy- either day, night or both
- Physical therapy
- Balancing the bite
Let us help you get out of pain and back to a life you can enjoy pain free. We have helped hundreds of patients regain their functioning and live healthier and happier lives.
Enjoy views of Chicago’s Millenium Park while getting your teeth cleaned.